November 3, 2011

Online File Storage

http://savageio.com/sites/default/files/uploads/documents/cloud_storage_2_web_0.png
There are a lot of sites that will allow you to save your files in the "cloud" which frees you from having to carry your flash drive from computer to computer.  The site that I use is dropbox which gives you 2GB of storage with their free account but can be upgraded to 50GB for $9.99/month.  I like to use dropbox because it is highly accessible with apps to download to each computer I use including my phone.  Before dropbox I was using box.net which gives you 5GB of free storage upgradeable to 25GB ($9.99) and 50GB ($19.99).  I recently discoved that even Amazon will give you cloud storage (5 GB).  You can also use Windows Skydrive which is Windows cloud based file storage which at one point allowed for up to 25GB of free storage.

Now What?

Clearly it is more efficient to save your files on the web so that you can access your files from anywhere.  Before I moved to Google Docs and Dropbox, I was always managing several flash drives and trying to anticipate which files I would need from my network account at school before I left for the day.  This is also a great way for students to save their work between home and school.

No comments: